About the Award
The LaMarr Billups Community–University Engagement Award recognizes outstanding contributions to campus community partnerships. LaMarr Billups served as a special assistant to two UW chancellors and was director of community relations from 1996 to 2007. LaMarr was known as a skilled ambassador between the university and city, and was deeply committed to key civic institutions and social causes.
Past recipients: Ruthanne Chun (2021) | Gloria Ladson-Billings (2019) | Kaleem Caire (2018) | Emily Auerbach (2017) | Robert Pierce (2014) | Mary Rouse (2013)
Hear from past LaMarr Billups Community–University Engagement Award winners on Community Chats, a discussion series that explores the many ways members of the Madison community and UW–Madison are coming together to address pressing public issues.
Each year, the LaMarr Billups Award recognizes and honors a member of the Greater Madison community (student, staff, faculty and/or community member) who has made outstanding contributions in the following areas:
- Dedication to the betterment of the Madison community through service, activism, and/or professional pursuits;
- Building strong connections between the greater community and UW-Madison through true collaboration and mutually-beneficial partnerships; and
- Commitment of character to the highest level of integrity, leadership, and pursuit of excellence
HOW TO APPLY
Nominations must include the following:
- A letter of nomination (1 page max)
- A letter of support from the nominee’s colleagues (student, staff, faculty and/or community member)
- The nominee’s updated curriculum vitae or written article about their work
- A recent photo of the nominee, if available.
To submit a nomination, please email the above materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “LaMarr Billups Nomination 2021.”
The nomination deadline for the 2021 LaMarr Billups Community–University Engagement Award is now closed. This year’s awardee will be announced in June.
If you have any questions about the award, please contact email@example.com.